Director of Content
Joel comes to Move This World after working in curriculum design and music education. He is passionate about expanding students’ sense of empathy through learning design and the power of the arts. Before Move This World, Joel wrote curriculum at UC Berkeley’s science museum and designed games at Leapfrog Toys. Joel has written two original musicals and worked as a teaching artist in New York City public schools; the hard-working, resilient students he met there continually inspire him. Joel holds a degree in cognitive science from Yale University.
- Favorite wellbeing ritual: I’m a Headspace addict! Meditation is so simple, yet so powerful.
- Favorite way to de-stress: Running around Prospect Park and getting outdoors to hike and camp.
- Advice for supporting wellbeing during the school year: As Michelle Obama said, if you prepare and try your best, you don’t need to worry about the outcome.
- Advice for supporting colleagues and peers during the school year: The school year’s a marathon, not a sprint! Take a moment to cheer each other on. Let others cheer you on, too.
- Source of inspiration: Seeing my students make progress and being inspired by friends, nature, and community.